The High-Tech Texan Blog

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

TV Converter Box Coupons Are Here!

Now I can't wait to go buy a box so I can watch the 4" TV in my garage. That's really the only analog TV I own but is it really worth the money to buy a box instead of buying a small new TV that receives digital signals?

Probably so considering a converter box from Wal-Mart is only $9.87 after I use my coupon. Yep, I requested them online in early January and they arrived in the mail today.

Got to love the government. They could have simply printed the coupons on paper but they probably spent $40 bucks alone on pressing two plastic gift cards per request. C'mon, people! Only thing I can guess is that it stops fraud by not being able to duplicate them.

To recap the dealio with the TV Converter Box Coupon Program, on February 17, 2009, all TV stations will cease broadcasts of analog signals and go completely digital. This means that analog TVs will be obsolete, so anyone with antennae or rabbit ears would no longer receive TV signals.

People with satellite and most with cable boxes (and yes, U-verse boxes) should be unaffected. Instead of forcing everyone in the US to buy new TVs that don’t already have digital signal capable equipment, a $40 coupon for a converter box is being offered here: http://dtv2009.com/

The coupons and accompanying letter are pretty straight forward. It lists several stores within your nearby ZIP code to redeem them. It also lists about 35 different boxes the coupon is eligible for.

The only thing I don't like is the coupon expiration date. They expire 90 days after they are mailed. By the time I got mine my window was down to about 2 1/2 months. I like taking time to shop and may decided later this year to chunk my analog TV for a digital model. If I have to buy the box soon I may not need it come February 2009.

But I'll go get one to test it out. Most all local Houston stations are already broacasting in digital so the converter box won't go to waste. Are you going to request and redeem a coupon? Comment below....

1 Comments:

  • You can order you converter box on the internet at CompuPartsAndMore.com with the coupon for $21.99 with free shipping.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home