The High-Tech Texan Blog

Monday, February 25, 2008

I Got An HD-DVD Player!

So Toshiba announced last week it is discontinuing its production, support and everything else it put into the HD-DVD format. What did I just do? Me gots me a Toshiba HD-DVD player.

No, I did not graduate from Texas A&M.

As I was preaching on my radio program last weekend, HD-DVD players and discs will now be discounted as retailers want to move them off their shelves to make room for the "winning" format -- Blu-ray. And if you see a really good deal on a HD-DVD player that once cost upwards of $500, then it may be worth getting one. Here's why:
  • These players can play your current collection of DVDs. And if connected to a TV/monitor in the proper way, the video quality will be enhanced than your current DVD player.

  • Players can also play audio CDs, CD-R/-RW, DVD-R/-RW and a few other formats.

  • There are currently around 350 movie titles on HD-DVD with more still to be released over the next few months due to studio contractual obligations. Retailers will be having fire sales on these discs and you can probably pick them up for a very cheap price.

So I'm wasting time at Circuit City this afternoon and sure enough they have all of their HD-DVD players on sale. I got there at the right time and picked up a Toshiba HD-A30 for $59.99. It was also a bonus deal that came with two HD-DVD discs (The Bourne Identity and 300). Plus I got a rebate coupon for 5 more titles.

To recap...a new HD-DVD player, 7 HD-DVD flicks, 60 bones plus tax.

The manager of the Galleria-area Circuit City said that all HD-DVD players will continue to be discounted at all CC stores. The Blu-ray player prices were standing pat. Lemme know if you find a good deal so we can share with others.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

  • I hadn't considered the upconversion capabilities of those Toshiba machines, but you are absolutely right -- getting one of those machines really cheap should be worth it to an HDTV owner with an old DVD player(like me!) who isn't willing to shell out for BluRay yet.

    Unfortunately, the Galleria CC story was out of HD-A30s when I went by at lunch. I may try some other area stores.

    By Blogger Kevin Whited, at 2:48 PM  

  • I just went by the Sugar Land CC store and they have a Toshiba HD-A3 in stock. Not too much of a difference than the A30.

    Check on CircuitCity.com, also.

    By Blogger The High-Tech Texan, at 2:55 PM  

  • Thanks. I did track down an HD-A3 at a CC, but still priced at $99. I'm envious of your STEAL!

    I will probably hold out until some online or local store discounts even further, then grab one. Toshiba surely has a stock of these things that will eventually flood the discount clearance market...

    By Blogger Kevin Whited, at 9:37 AM  

  • Nice! Congratulations to you. You can now enjoy and complete your premium entertainment system.

    By Anonymous Kuba Jewgieniew, at 3:58 PM  

  • Thanks for providing such a great article, it was excellent and very informative. It’s my first time that I visit here. I found a lot of informative stuff in your article. Keep it up. Thank you

    By Anonymous Cavite Web Design, at 1:51 PM  

  • I am just new to your blog and just spent about 1 hour and 30 minutes lurking and reading. I think I will frequent your blog from now on after going through some of your posts. I will definitely learn a lot from them.

    By Anonymous Baltimore Nightlife, at 12:12 PM  

  • I ran into this page on accident, surprisingly, this is a amazing website. The site owner has carried out a superb job of putting it together, the info here is really insightful. You just secured yourself a guarenteed reader.


    NevergiveupPH

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:07 PM  

  • Hello, Anyway i seriously like your current blog! It is a impressive posting. All of us look forward to browsing even more helpful information that you’ll be posting within the long run. We have found out a great deal from this. Cheers.

    please see this:NevergiveupPH

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home