The High-Tech Texan Blog

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

It Pays To Be An "A"

I LUV Southwest Airlines. Been flying since I was a little kid in Dallas and have owned a few shares of stock since I was 13 (thanks, Nana and Papa). The perks have always been a little bit better than other airlines - fewers trips to get a free ticket, free drink tickets, Companion Pass and more. But times are getting a bit tough...

No longer can you receive double flight credits by booking on the web. Instead of 12 free drink tickets you now get 4 when you qualify for a free flight. And even though Southwest just rolled out a new and improved boarding procedure, starting tomorrow it may be harder to get in the coveted "A" boarding group (first in line to board the open-seated plane).

Southwest is instituting the "Rapid Rewards A-List Membership." Details:
Just fly 16 roundtrips in 12 months and we’ll put you on our A-List where we’ll
reserve you the best boarding pass available on all your flights for an entire
year, which means you’ll most likely get an A boarding pass.

I don't like this. It's already a who-can-log-on-first contest to get an A boarding pass 24 hours before your flight. I recently logged in about 23 hours and 55 minutes before my flight and I was nearly the 50th person who had checked in (almost a B...gasp!). So with this new membership I estimate the first few dozen spots will already be held for members - especially on heavily traveled routes like Houston-Dallas where most travelers will be "in the club."

Kind of funy how Southwest has been heavily promoting their new boarding procedure but just now announced this new twist on the same day the procedure goes nationwide. Guess I need to fly a bit more (and carry a flask to make up for those drink tickets).

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • I don't like this.

    There's a great solution: A full-service carrier! My suggestion would be Continental. :)

    By Blogger Kevin Whited, at 8:03 PM  

  • I'm with ya, Kev, but you just can't beat Love Field or Hobby. (and I still have a TON of drink tickets which never expire!)

    But I'm more than happy to take a meeting with Larry Kellner for an endorsement deal. ;)

    By Blogger The High-Tech Texan, at 8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home