The High-Tech Texan Blog

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Wes Goes East

It is official now. Call off the petitions and the nasty emails to Channel 2, Wes Hohenstein has left the building...and the city soon. I've been the unofficial "Where in the world is Wes" spokesman since he left the morning weathercast last January.

Wes is a good friend of mine and golfing buddy so I have been privy to what he has been up to (or hasn't been up to) for the past several months. Despite all of the hub-bub going at at KPRC-TV with morning weather personnel Wes is not going back to his old stomping grounds. He has accepted a position at WNCN in Raleigh-Durham, NC, that will actually let him sleep in.

Ladies and gentlemen, in his own words, let's hear from the new Chief Meteorologist at NBC17:
Since leaving KPRC, I was able to do some traveling, visit family, catch up
on my golf game and even had a freelance stint in Tucson, Arizona.

I explored every option possible here in Houston; came to know the town,
its residents and the weather very well, but it just wasn't in the cards
to stay. In the mean time, I didn't want to take just any old job that popped up; I
wanted it to be the right job and the right city. Enter into the picture Raleigh, North Carolina, a great city with an NBC station in need of a chief meteorologist. WNCN had a chief meteorologist position open up, which sounded very promising. North Carolina is pretty country with great people....and great golf and college basketball...which didn't hurt in helping to make this an easy decision to take this job.
While I'm sad about leaving Houston and all the friends I’ve made, I'm very excited about my new opportunity in North Carolina.

The TV business can often be like a bolt of lightning....it has a lot of positives and negatives.....sure it was unfortunate that I had to leave KPRC, but the positives are that I learned a lot as a person, I learned a lot about this business and by being
patient and waiting for the right job and not just the next job, I get the chance to be a chief in a very important weather driven city, like Raleigh.

Leave it Wes to sneak in a weather analogy (I don't mean to rain on his parade, but I like this pun better!).

Good luck, Westicle. Tell Ernesto we said Hi and thanks for turning north. We'll miss you at my upcoming charity golf tournament next month but I'm looking forward to an invite to play Pinehurst No. 3.

2 Comments:

  • Good Luck Wes!!

    You are certainly missed here in Houston. Congratulations on your "promotion."

    KPRC has some serious rebuilding to do. Anthony was a step in the right direction, although I will still miss the days of Wes & Don.

    Congrats again!

    Betty

    PS Skip and Larry will still be getting my e-mails.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:11 AM  

  • Ah so my chance of ever meeting the man has gone from perhaps 50% to zero. Although I do have some friends in NC!

    I remember first seeing him in March 2003. I liked him from the start. Guess I'll have to find a new weatherman crush. :)

    Good luck Wes!

    By Blogger Sarah, at 8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home