The High-Tech Texan Blog

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Cancelled Bills

That headline could have easily have been "Folk Lore" or "The Cowboys Still Own The Buffalo Bills." It's been exactly 24 hours since the Monday Night Football game ended and my heartbeat just finally went back to its normal resting pace.

My mood during football season generally ebbs and flows with the wins and losses of the Texas Longhorns and Dallas Cowboys (for those of you who haven't figured it out yet, I'm from Dallas and I graduated from UT). I was in the gutter since Saturday's loss to OU and I was getting ready to flush myself down the toilet with all but 2 seconds left in the Cowboys-Bills game.

As my kids can tell you when I woke them and the neighbors up with uncontrollable screams, the Cowboys pulled off one of the most improbably wins in NFL history. What should have been a game the Cowboys won by at least 40 points (according to my weekly pool guess), they played terrible and should have lost.

That's why I've been so giddy this past day. Haven't felt this pumped about the 'Boys since the Super Bowl runs in the mid-90's.

Immediately following the game winning kick by Nick Folk (who?), I called my dad in Dallas who I knew was watching the game. The last time we talked after a close Cowboys win was Week 2 of the 2003 season when Coach Bill Parcells took the team to play his old NY Giants on Monday night. Billy Cundiff kicked 7 field goals that game including a 25-yarder in OT. We celebrated on the phone for a while after that one.

While on the phone with him last night I kept getting beep-ins from my other friends in Dallas. I think we were still in shock and we kept trying to guess what the headlines in today's Dallas Morning News would be. (The DMN continues to be the best local newspaper in the country with a Sports section second to none). The editors have fun with 2 inch tall headlines following Cowboys games and they are memorable.

Today's paper didn't let me down. Front page: FOLK LORE Sports page: PICK AND GRIN (which perfectly described Tony Romo's 5 interceptions and ear-to-ear smile at the end of the game).

Anyway, I just came down to earth and now await this Sunday's matchup vs. the undefeated Patriots. God forbid the Texans play at the same time and the game is blacked out. Oh wait, the Texans hardly ever play the late game because they aren't good.

And by the way, Kris Brown's game winning field goal last Sunday to beat the Dolphins was fantastic, but it still wasn't the best and most dramatic kick by a pro team from Texas this weekend.

In case you missed it, the Cowboys-Bills game will be replayed on the NFL Network at 9:30 p.m. Wednesday and 1:30 p.m. Thursday.

Oh, I wonder if The Buffalo News headlines read "Folk You?"

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home