The High-Tech Texan Blog

Monday, February 04, 2008

Super Duper Birthday Bowl

Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Vista and every other tech-related thing can wait for now. America just took a collective breath after one of the most entertaining Super Bowls played. For the record I celebrated with a Chip Off The Old Block cake with XLIII candles (thanks Dessert Gallery).

Like I said on Saturday, take the Giants plus the points. In hindsight, just go ahead and take the Giants on the money line - you would have won about $400 for every $100 you bet.

The Eli-to-Tyree 4th quarter catch probably will go down as the greatest grab in SB history. I'll probably remember that as long as my memory of Jackie Smith dropping the easiest possible TD catch in SB history. (greatest Verne Lunquist quote..."Bless his heart, he has to be the sickest man in America!")

I kind of paid attention to the halftime show. The guitar-shaped stage looked cool and I wish Vegas had a line on the number of those kids in the fake audience who knew who Tom Petty was (Over/Under was probably 24). He looked old. And where were the other two remaining Wilburys?

No in-game commercials stuck out in my mind as being great. I liked the E-Trade baby throwing up on the keyboard and the Amp nipple-car charging spot was kind of amusing. The interesting thing to note is that these aired in the 4th quarter, usually a time for ho-hum commercials.

The best TV spot of the entire weekend began airing this morning after the big game. Reebok filmed two spots with several of the undefeated 1972 Miami Dolphins. The setting was in front of a home in "Perfectville - Pop. 1 - Founded 1972." A Giants Courier truck rolls up the driveway and Dolphins outspoken running back Mercury Morris signs for the package. In it is a gift wrapped football with a note from Eli Manning. The note reads "A gift from the NY Giants. Enjoy it for one more year."

The spot works on so many levels. What I would really like to see, though, is the alternate ending they would have aired had the Patriots won the game. Probably Morris delivering a note to a house next door with "Welcome to the neighborhood, Patriots."

The ubiquitous "I'm going to Disneyworld" ad also started airing early Monday morning. Eli actually looks so young he likely would be questioned riding Space Mountain. One Houston note...Texans PR man Tony Wylie can be seen in this spot right next to Eli. All NFL teams send their PR staff to volunteer the Super Bowl. Apparently Wylie's duty was to corral the game's MVP. He looked like a deer caught in the headlights. (Note to Wylie - I'd give you more props if you would ever grant me a freakin' media pass to cover a Texans game. I talk more about sports than technology on my radio show and I still can't get a pass. So have your staff stop questioning my allegiance to the superior Cowboys).

Biggest winners of the day:

Eli Manning. Maybe he'll have a shot of coming close to his brother's marketing appeal.
Oreo. I don't really like the TV ad but what was the last spot to have the last two Super Bowl MVP's in the same spot?
The '72 Dolphins. Still the only undefeated team which means $$ at autograph appearances.
Justin Garfield. My 12 year-old son had 7 (Giants) and 3 (Pats) in the square pool. $50 bucks

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home