The High-Tech Texan Blog

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Day 1 Almost Done

I wanted to post some comments throughout the day but I have literally been on the run, or walk, since I finished my show. I've been scouting products and companies to feature when I return Wednesday and Thursday to shoot segments for my HOT ON! TV pieces.

A few trends I notice:
  • TVs. Bigger, brighter, more expensive. Sony has some great concepts called XDRS (laser light) and some monitors that are literally razor thin with full HD capacity. I did see that 108" Sharp LCD monitor - it was almost as tall as me.
  • Can't get lost with GPS. This subject continues to be one of the most called-in from my listeners. No shortage of units here from Garmin, Magellan, Microsoft, NavTech and more. Two odd ones that stood out - a GPS for a motorcycle and one for your dog. I am not kidding. God forbid you lose your dog.
  • Sync your ride. Auto accessories are everywhere and even take up almost an entire exhibit hall. Microsoft's announcement about SYNC with Ford looks cool. Saw some SUVs with touch-screens, remote controls, antennae...everything but a bed.
  • High-Def DVD wars. Blu-Ray and HD-DVD each have huge displays. The picture quality of both is excellent and no one is picking a winning format yet. Saw LG's new entry that combines the best of both worlds.
  • Hybrid videocams. Mini-DV tape cameras are dying as DVD cameras are catching on. If you want more storage look for Hitachi, Panasonic and others to release models that have both DVD burners and an internal hard drive. Just download video from the camera directly to your PC.

I'll try to upload some photos soon. Have to hit a private Dell party and then see if I can win back some money I lost at the craps tables last night.

Tune in to my show Wednesday at 12pm CST (950AM). I'm expecting some guests from Vonage, Belkin and Microsoft.

1 Comments:

  • Does the new Telenav Traffic available from Sprint provides updates for different roads than what Houston Transtar already reports? For instance will it report traffic on Will Clayton Parkway east and west of 59?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home