The High-Tech Texan Blog

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Houston, We Have Wireless (Sort Of)

As I buried the lead this morning on my show, Earthlink Municipal Networks has been chosen by the city of Houston to build out and manage a 600+ square mile wireless Internet network. Mayor White will officially make the announcement this afternoon at City Hall.

The mayor will be joining me at the top of my show Wednesday to discuss the selection process and next steps. Richard Lewis, the city's CIO, and a rep from Earthlink will also be in-studio to field questions from listeners.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • I welcome citywide wi fi in Houston. Currently, it is a big pain to find a place that offers it -- and I don't want to pay for it at places like Starbucks or coffee shops. My Treo is great but sometimes u need wi fi and a laptop to do business.

    It's GREAT having a visionary like Mayor Bill to bring us into the 21st Century!

    By Blogger Global American, at 2:32 PM  

  • Ya, it really is amazing to think that Houston will have city-wide wifi. Looks like they are following in the footsteps of philadelphia, but its good because they can learn from their mistakes. Of course, you already have cricket wireless houston offering unlimited phone service you guys are set. You really are the high tech texan now. Moreso than us LA boys (note I'm originally from houston).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:43 AM  

  • Cricket is not unlimited, Read the fine print.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home